Last Friday (November 7, 2008), Gumaoc Church of Christ conducted “Fellowship through Prayer.” The said activity is one of the scheduled activities before the 22nd Anniversary of Gumaoc Church of Christ. During the fellowship, Ptr. Doods reminded the brethren the importance of devotional prayer and the power of prayer. He reiterated that we are strongly linked to God through our prayers. He encourages everybody to have devotional prayer in the family and if possible to have prayer partner. He rationalized that one of the reason why Christians are very slow in growing is because of the lack of prayer habit. Every prayer meeting, Ptr. Doods always reminds everybody the power of prayer. Last Friday was no different, he went to add that apart from the personal prayer that we have, it is very very important to pray for the following:
- Pray for believers to experience true worship (Romans 12:1-2). Ptr. Doods said that Pastors almost always prepare for their message but some of the believers sometimes failed to experience true worship because they are not preparing themselves to receive the message. He said that as we worship, we need to ready ourselves, from the clothes we are to wear, time of coming to church, hearing the message and we even need to respect to the one delivering the message. We should understand that Pastors delivering the message labored for it. We need to listen/focus on the message. He urges everybody to pray for preparation before hearing the message. He strongly emphasized that worship starts at home even before the Church service started.
- Pray the believers will know, accept, and obey the word of God (Jn. 10:27). Ptr. Doods adds that it is important that we know the word of God, but much more important is accepting it and applying it in our lives. That is the ultimate goal of evangelism.
- Pray for unity in the church (Eph. 4:3). Ptr. Doods time in again is reminding everybody that believers belong to one body and for the body to move and act efficiently, parts of the body should move in unison. It means there must be unity. Arguments, deliberation are part of a growing church but the bottom line is having one decision. Every believers should pray for unity of the church.
- Pray for souls to be won for Christ (Mt. 9:37-38). Ptr. Doods said that all the things we are doing, the church activities like prayer meeting, evangelism, sharing and fellowship have one ultimate goal, that is to bring soul for Christ.
- Pray for joy in the hearts and lives of the believers (Phi. 4:4-6). Every believers should experience joy in their heart. We should enjoy our life as Christian knowing that we have one God we could always rely in times of our needs.
Finally, Ptr. Doods informed the Brethren that through prayer, we can transform the church and help to reach it’s full potential.